Improving Your Immune System
Your immune system is the only defence your body has against a virus (including the coronavirus), and how badly it affects you is directly related to how strong your immune system is. So protecting yourself again viruses should include
- Washing your hands very regularly
- Social distancing (keeping at least 1.5m away from others)
- Strengthening your immune system
By getting your immune system stronger, you will also help reduce the chance of you spreading the virus to other people. There are a variety of ways to do this.
- Getting enough sleep (6-8 hrs), maintaining a healthy exercise regime, sunshine, fresh air, and keeping stress levels in check
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet, with an abundance of fresh vegetables, raw crushed garlic, nuts, fresh high anti-oxidant foods (especially broccoli and kiwifruit), and good quality protein. These help to feed your beneficial gut bacteria to boost your immune resilience. (Garlic has the added advantages that it is anti-viral, plus helps with social distancing!)
- Don’t overindulge with alcohol, as it is bad for your gut flora and immune functions.
- If you smoke, action a quit plan.
- Over-the-counter products such as probiotics, vitamin C, zinc, vitamin D, etc. Vitamin D reduces the chances of developing acute respiratory infections (including influenza). However stop taking vitamin D if you come down with a cold or flu, as it may make your symptoms worse.
- Drink and gargle green tea. Even more so than drinking it, gargling green tea has been shown to reduce the rate of contracting influenza and the common cold. The tannins in green tea have also been shown to have broad anti-viral effects topically.
- Eat probiotic foods daily. Consuming probiotic foods regularly or taking a probiotic supplement has been shown to reduce the risk of developing an upper respiratory tract infection. (if you would like to take a supplement, please talk to us about the ideal one for you.)
- To strongly improve your immune system requires professional-strength, prescription-only products from a naturopath or similar health professional. These are individually prescribed for each person, and may include specific probiotics targeting certain aspects of their immune system, high-potency supplements, or specific herbal preparations. These products are very potent and effective, but as the prescription and dosage is tailored to each individual, a consultation with the therapist is necessary.
We are currently running a special offer of a 15 minute consult with our naturopath for only $15. These can be carried out in person or by Skype or Facetime. Please give us a call if you would like to book in for one, or you can book online.